Haw Par Mansion
South-east Asia Chinese trader Mr. Aw Boon Haw (1882 – 1954) with his younger brother Mr. Aw Boon Par, moved their business headquarters from Singapore to Hong Kong. In 1935, Haw thus purchased a steep rocky lot on Tai Hang Road, and built a residence for the family. The house, which was called Haw Par Mansion and its private garden, Tiger Balm Garden, was completed in 1936. Haw Par Mansion was Aw family’s residence and was not open for public visit. On the contrary, the landscaped Tiger Balm Garden opened for public enjoyment of its traditional Chinese decorations. The Garden was closed in 1999 and the Mansion together with the Garden were donated to the Government in 2001. The Haw Par Mansion T was assessed as a Grade 1 historic building in 2009. In 2019, Aw Boon Haw Foundation and Haw Par Music worked together to revitalize the historic building into Haw Par Music. Haw Par Music has the mission to become a centre for cross-cultural exchange through music, heritage and arts, with a social initiative; providing not only high quality education on Western and Chinese music, but also a nurturing environment for the next generation of arts practitioners and future cultural leaders. Mr. Aw Boon Haw was a very kind to dedicate many donations. For the re-construction of No. 12 School Street as “Hung Shing Yi Hok” (Confucius free school for the poor) in 1949, Mr. Aw donated HK$10,000 to support the project and Tai Hang children.